She Writes

Sunday, August 26, 2007

26th August Farewell Speech

Good Afternoon Everyone!

My district had organized this meeting with the intention of giving me a send-off. I would like to thank them, Naka, Bee Khim, Bee Lay and Chee Eng. Bee Khim had came up with great agenda today. Also the rest were busying with the food, the games and other preparations etc. Thank you for everything. I hope all of you have enjoyed yourselves.

I would like to thank all of you for coming, in particularly to send me off. Never have I felt so honour that so many people are here for me! For those who do not know, I will be leaving for my further studies in UK next month.

I would like to thank a few people who make this happen. Firstly, to my family for their support especially my parents who are supporting me financially. Instead of retiring and enjoying their lives now, they have invested their retirement funds on my overseas studies.

I am very thankful to a group of colleagues and unfortunately, most can’t make it today. They have taken great care of me like their sister. Most of them graduated from UK and shared with me their experiences. They have helped me along my way, giving me lots of precious advices. One of my great ex-colleague, Boon is here with me together with his girlfriend.

I would like to talk about my district since they are the main front and backstage roles today. I got to know my district leaders, Naka, Bee Khim, Bee Lay and Chee Eng about 4 years ago. I joined in this district when I was just promoted to a YWD Assistance Leader. That time I was very worried. When I first heard that my district MD is a Japanese, I felt stressed. It is because I have the impression that Japanese leader is stern and very strict. However, when I get to know Naka, I realised that he is a very wonderful man.

Naka amazed me with his multi- tasking roles. He is a family man, a businessman, a part- time student, a leader and an active participant for events like NDP. How did he manage to do all so well? That is something that I could never figure out. He has never complains, doing his best for all of us and the members.

Bee Khim never failed to enlighten me with her broad knowledge. She holds the answers to many questions we have. I have learnt so much from her. Bee Lay, the sunshine lady full of laughter, I hope to be like her who makes people smile and laugh all the time. She is the medicine for moody souls.

Chee Eng’s strength inspired me. He move on with strong faith during bad times, never give up and never doubt what he practices. He shown us great actual proof.

Thank you all of you for being with me for four years, giving me guidance, care and understandings. I will miss the time that we work together.

To my YWD leaders, Angie and Florence, you have been great sisters to me, always lending a listening ear to me, always believed in me.

I want to thank all the members from my district, for giving me the opportunity to develop my potential. If I do not have your support, I wouldn’t have been growing.

I would like to keep in touch with all of you. I will be passing this paper around. You can leave your name and email address.

Are you all surprised that I am leaving? Many people have asked why am I pursuing my studies out of a sudden? I have been working for 6 years, why this time? In short, I will put it as opportunities come at the right time.

How do I feel to pursue my studies after graduated for so long? I was worried if I could cope. I have been out of school for so long, I wonder if I could catch up, another factor that contribute to my worries is that I will be taking a different course. It is Medical Engineering.

Medical Engineering is the application of Engineering principles to the medical field. Examples range from the design of artificial joints, development and testing of new medical equipment, to calculating the time of death of human corpses. Very interesting right? But can I handle it? Do I have what it takes to complete my studies?

Then, it takes lot of courage to leave my family and my friends to a place which I am unfamilar and have no one. Many people thinks that “wow”, I am so adventurous to go UK alone for a period of time. But deep inside, there were fears, uncertainties, worries etc...

I have never thought of having this opportunity to study abroad. It is something that I would never expect in my life and I was not prepared for. To me, I have to move out of my comfort zone to another place. It is like I have to learn to crawl again like a baby.

When I was young, Dad always tell me that you have nothing to fear because you have the Gonhonzon. Til now, I always keep this in my mind. There is nothing to be afraid of because we are strong and we can overcome all the obstacles. That is what my Buddhism teaches me too. All of us have the potential to do the most unexpected.

Ikeda Sensei’s says “What is the treasure of youth? It is struggle; it is hard work. Unless you struggle, you cannot become truly strong. Those who fight hard during their youth will have nothing to fear when the time comes to put the finishing touches on their lives. They will possess a great state of life that towers strong and unshakable. In Buddhism, we call this the state of Buddhahood, which nothing can undermine or destroy. It is a state of mind enjoyed by invincible champions of life.”

I know that I will have a difficult time in UK, coping with new environment and culture, struggling and coping on a new course but with this guidance, I know that I can be a champion in my life. I believed that that I will have great experiences to share at the end of my course. Please look forward to my victory after two years.

After my graduation, I hope to work in the medical field, to contribute more to humanity. That is my passion. I hope to see all of you again in good health, stronger faith, wisdom and many victories to share with me.

Once again, thank you all of you.
posted by Samantha at 10:23 PM

<< Home